Sunday, December 11, 2016

It's a winter wonderland


All yesterday evening, the news peppered Wisconsinites with bluster and fear of the impending snowstorm we received yesterday evening and will be continuing most of today. The weatherman on our favorite station was accurate, I have to give him credit, but he had a less than hidden dose of excitement coming through his eyes. It was a bit too much eagerness. I often wonder like an athlete preparing for a big match, if weatherman get psyched up for impactful weather events? Do you think they sit in mirrors doing tongue twisters about clouds while their producers coach them on how they can be better than the opposing weatherman on the other station? I can picture a grizzled veteran producer with coffee in his veins giving the talent the pep talk, "You got this Don, Ted on channel 6 defaults to polar vortex when the snowfall is over 6" and we all know the viewers like to hear about La Nina. Make me proud Don, win one for the Gifford tonight."

Weather prep was so intense, the Power Rangers cartoon was interrupted this morning, and you don't interrupt Power Rangers for anything unless it's more serious than their commercials for light up shoes and legos that shoot things. Wisconsin did not receive as much snow as some states, Ohio I heard received 30" in some places, and we all know Buffalo is giggling at the "light dusting" they consider 30" of snow to be. Fun fact, anything over 12" and you should suggest your maintenance department verify the structural integrity of your commercial flat roof at work, wouldn't want any snow falling on your heads while you shop Amazon during work hours the next few weeks.

As I prepare this morning to go outside and shovel, I get mildly excited learning that it's clearly light and fluffy, knowing less ibuprofen will be needed post shoveling for back soreness. However, it's how my daughters reacted to seeing the snow this morning that reminds me why it's critical for me to do my best not to screw up how my children already are, instead of trying my best to make them more like me.

My oldest awoke at 4:30 am because she was excited. When I was awoken at 6:00am, she let me know it was snowing outside, with a gigantic smile, kinda like the weatherman from the night before. When I finally rolled out of bed to get coffee, she rushed me to the window and squealed, "Dad, it's a winter wonderland outside!"

Like the weatherman who can't wait to get up and tell you about something they enjoy doing, I am reminded of the pure enjoyment children bring to new experiences, and how infectious that can be. After a 12 year run of having the same fake tree, my girls convinced us that we needed a real tree. So before the mini blizzard, we chose to secure our tree. Our experience yesterday morning to grab ours before the snow came was a little more work than plugging in the Ole Plastic Tree, however, the trip itself has become tradition. We now "cut your own", and found a nice sustainable tree farm which made the experience fun, with warm apple cider, a couple of kids who throw it on the roof of your car for you, and not too far a drive. Both girls carried the saw and the plastic tarp for dragging the cut tree with glee, excited to participate in choosing the arbor.

Dragging a tree half a mile back from cutting it to the car is not the first thing I'd choose to do, however, my children approached this experience like Al Roker approaches a storm front. Eagerly grabbing the rope, with their tiny gloved hands, and yanking until they couldn't drag it any further.

It's a lesson I hope to keep learning. Life is a winter wonderland, you just need to look at it through a joyful lens and get excited about doing rather than complaining. Merry Winter Wonderland my friends!


bvd

No comments:

Post a Comment