Sunday, October 2, 2016

Vierauge

My oldest daughter doesn't know who Teddy Roosevelt is or what the heck "Vierauge" means. Both are foreign to her, and at the age of 7, I'm glad they are. If it weren't for one of them, the other may have hurt her feelings recently.

Recently, an insightful teacher at our daughters school noticed our oldest squinting from the back of class to read the smart board. She indicated that our daughter was having difficulty reading from a distance, and she suggested a vision check. At first, my wife and I thought perhaps this was simply one of the many unusual facial contortions that our daughter utilizes to communicate uncomfortable subjects like frustration, confusion, or bathroom needs. A quick chat with the squinter produced clarity, she didn't have to poop every time the smart board was used, she had difficulty reading some of the smaller words.

I recall when it was determined I needed glasses as a youth. I dreaded it. I didn't want it. I knew my social life, sports life, and image would forever be changed, and I feared then, it would never recover. I recall the perception of weakness when I wore rec specs to play sports, and remember vividly the excitement I experienced when I could finally afford laser surgery. I need only one example to explain my dread, the German term for "Four-Eyes" when I looked it up on line for the translation, used it in this sentence, "You just got pantsed in the schoolyard vierauge (four-eyes)"

According to the vision center of America, roughly 75% of all adults in this country utilize some form of vision correction. Eye glasses are the preferred method, with over 64% of those eye correctors choosing eyeglasses. In and of itself, the sheer amount of adult folks utilizing eye glasses should reduce the stigma of wearing them, there is safety in the schoolyard in numbers. But I still feared my daughter may find difficulty with having these spectacles. Critics hide in their own insecurities, and a father's teachings must end in his daughter's self esteem, which will win is a battle fought in a place we don't get to see.

Teddy Roosevelt is widely credited for increasing the popularity of glasses in the 1900's, and in particular, lending wisdom and strength to the image of those who may wear them in the future. Teddy also has some wonderful quotes, and one in particular I found relevant for this, "It behooves every man to remember that the work of the critic is of altogether secondary importance, and that in the end, progress is accomplished by the man who does things"

My daughter confidently choose 2 pair, the most unique of which titled "Hot Kiss" is aqua colored with a multi speckled tiger colored exterior finish that I'm sure would glow in the dark. They arrived early, and she could not wait to wear them to school. In complete contrast to my fears for her, she received support, encouragement, and the schoolyard was extremely kind. Frankly, I switched from worrying about how she would be accepted, to worrying how many times my daughter would try to lend them to someone else on the world tour of the glowing glasses.

I'm thankful for the acceptance, it sure makes reinforcing the self esteem a bit easier. Glad she did not have to learn "Vierauge" or get pantsed in the schoolyard for wearing glasses.

Enjoy

bvd




No comments:

Post a Comment