Sunday, April 24, 2016

Great is Good


My daughters have been very lucky to attend a wonderful elementary school that places a high value on family engagement. This last week, the school scheduled a grandparents and special friends day.

Upon the school of 350 students, descended a very special group of people to engage.

Several studies indicate that a child needs between 4 to 6 adult role models to learn from as they grow into adulthood. And while I've met some amazing people in my life who had far more or less than that in their immediate circle during childhood, I tend to believe that their development has more to do with the strength and example of whatever number of good role models they have. A friend gave me a wonderful book titled "strong fathers strong daughters" by Dr. Meg Meeker when my girls were first born. It's a short read and I recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about the impact a strong role model has in the development of a young child. It opened my eyes, and helped me understand how large a responsibility I have as a father of daughters.

So my 88 year old grandfather, one of two great grandfathers my daughters are blessed with, accepted his invitation to attend grandparents day. Happily. With Enthusiasm. With an open mind and a big heart.

The school has several floors to tour, and stairs, enough stairs that I'm sure I don't want to navigate them when I'm 88. Parking was crowded, leaving us a long walk to and from the front door, far longer than my rear end will want to trek if I'm blessed to get close to 100 and have my health. There was a church service before the tour, of a faith my grandfather was not. It was very crowded, we grabbed the last three seats, and were separated by a pew. My grandfather sang, kneeled, and "peace be with you'd" everyone within his reach. My daughter watched a wonderful role model, and the children in the school were surrounded by several hundred influential people. Her great grandfather gently and confidently spoke with my daughter's teachers, gracefully discussing the impact of smart boards in classrooms which is an item very near to his heart. He touched on the importance of education, reading, and learned about a Guinea Pig named Twix, superstar of the first grade classroom he visited. He faithfully listened to my daughter read in the library, sat in on a well done 4K play, and traipsed around 4 floors up and down several stair wells. He woo'd the ladies in the front office with his silver hair and warm smile, got to discuss Allis Chalmers with another gentleman with a great history, and chatted Chicago where he once lived.

Grandchildren smiled through the day, proudly displaying their artwork, classrooms, and accomplishments. Grandparents, Special friends, and Great Grandparents smiled, nodded, and asked lots of questions.

Photos snapped, hands were held, and the day came to an end with many hugs.

Reflecting on what had occurred, I realized how fortunate my daughter is to get to experience a great grandfather, and for the two of us to share a great example of how to live one's life. As a father watching his daughter interact with the world around her, it is wonderful to see how satisfied she becomes when she feels supported and loved by a family member. It is even more wonderful to know that your daughter has many strong examples of good male figures in her life, in her family. And while it doesn't take the pressure off her father to live up to her expectations, it sure is good to have some experienced help.

Great is Good











No comments:

Post a Comment